This recipe is simple, delicious, nutritious, and my favourite thing to make ever!
These vegan, gluten free, healthy pancakes are absolutely foolproof and contain just FOUR easy to find ingredients!
We eat these at least once each week – they have become something of a Sunday morning ritual for us. The fact that they are so simple yet taste so scrumptious make them a perfect breakfast choice.
Once you’ve got the base recipe down, you can then experiment with different toppings and flavours. Most of the time I’ll stick with cinnamon but sometimes I like to use vanilla, ginger or matcha. (Health Hack: add a handful of spinach to increase your daily greens without even noticing – just reduce the milk by a touch so the mixture isn’t too watery).
One batch will make roughly 4 medium sized pancakes which would be enough for one person. Simply double the recipe to make enough for two people.
You will need:
- 1 overripe banana
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds or flax meal (or add both for extra nutrients)
- 1 cup plant milk (oat, rice, coconut, almond, soy)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tsp coconut oil for cooking (or any other oil you prefer)
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend on high until everything is well mixed. If you don’t have a blender, mash the banana then add everything else.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In the meantime, heat about 1 tsp of coconut oil in a pan on a medium heat.
- Using a large spoon, gently add the mixture to the pan creating individual pancakes (I usually manage to fit the entire mixture as 4 pancakes in a large frying pan)
- Cook for between 5-8 minutes before flipping to the other side. Allow to cook for another 5-8 minutes until golden brown and firm.
- Serve hot with fruit, nut butter and any other goodies you can find!
My favourite topping combos:
- Stewed cinnamon apples with coconut yoghurt and maple syrup
- Blueberries, almond butter and date syrup
- Matcha and spinach pancakes with peanut butter and strawberries